Working in existing crawl spaces
This guide describes the particular risks encountered when working in existing crawl spaces. It also describes how to counter these risks effectively. Crawl space height:
- You must not work in crawl spaces of less than 60 cm.
- There are stringent requirements in terms of health and safety when working at heights of between 60 and 120 cm.
- In general, the higher the working height, the less stringent the requirements.
- There may be a number of safety-related arrangements in crawl spaces of a reasonable height, e.g. if the access routes to the work site are complicated or cramped.
How high and how long?
- Between 60 and 90 cm high – max. 1 hour over the course of one day
- Between 90 and 120 cm – max. 2 hours over the course of one day
- More than 120 cm and less than the person’s height when standing – max. 4 hours over the course of one day
Find out more: